[lbo-talk] hippies and la recherche du temps perdu

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Tue Aug 29 21:30:36 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 29 August 2006 00:15, Chuck Grimes wrote, among many other very evocative memories:

> And the deeper chaos was extremely attractive, because you could feel
> the social foundations begin to dissolve.

Yes. There's no reason in the world why corporate control can't coexist with free sex. But then, there's no reason why corporate control can't coexist with affirmative action, or a plumper minimum wage, or wetland protection. They can, or could, live with all these things -- but like Bartleby the Scrivener, they prefer not to.

They like the predictable. When people start behaving in eccentric, self- determined ways, even on the smallest matters, they get nervous. It seems crazy, but maybe they know their business better than we do.

Anybody here ever worked in a large corporation? Ever run up against the dress code? Where does that show up on the bottom line?

-- --Michael J. Smith --mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org