[lbo-talk] hippies (Re: WMT goes orgo)

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Aug 29 21:46:23 PDT 2006

When the hippies were around....in the late sixties....I was in my teens.

1. I was not thrilled with their fashion sense. Not much fun to be thirteen and dress like your great, great, grandma. Hated tie-dye. Hated muddy colors. Nothing on god's earth is that ugly. Not even mud.

2. I appreciated their counter culture thing -- getting away from conspicuous consumption and getting "closer to the earth" -- but this seemed to go hand in hand with great naivete and plain old ignorance. ...Captured in "Easy Rider" by the hippie commune sowing seeds in bare, arid ground.

3. The sexual mores were revolting -- a puritanism about sensuality heaped together with a kind of sexual indifference masquerading as "openness."

4. The food puritanism sucked too. I mean organic is ok and veggies are ok, but they seemed to go to great lengths to make everything taste awful.

5. But I liked the easy going anti-work stuff.

These are the barest memories and impressions, and I'm not claiming any great truths or interpretations here. Just how I bounced against all that as an immigrant teen.

Joanna