[lbo-talk] hippies and la recherche du temps perdu

tfast tfast at yorku.ca
Tue Aug 29 22:17:21 PDT 2006

As a kid I thought it was all fucked up. Although I came at the end and did not receive anything close to a memory until it was well done 76 or so. There was my dads good friend John, apparently the son of one Macys exec and his equally aristocratic wife Martha who some years later would join an women's only commune and swear that John had molested their daughter (which the daughter never corroborated). There was a concert saxophonist etc. etc. a logician etc., etc., a supreme court judge's son etc., all characters in this bizarre play that was, upon reflection the post hippie era. A bunch of idealists, free spirits and once in while revolutionaries and mostly good hearts whom life had gotten to. John could play chess and work the angles. From drugs to ebay this guy never came late to a party. Like many of the trust fund hippy set he would later retire to one of the islands off the west coast where rumour has it he made some cash as an early player in ebay. Full-on my early years were a litany of draft dodgers and malcontents from the empire. What a bizarre scene in the little serene scene of small town Canada. As I get older I have less contempt and more adoration for that crew. Sure they fucked it up big time. But they did so in a way that I learned a tremendous amount. All of them took some risks and paid the price. So what the fuck...if they did not prove it all night long.