[lbo-talk] Speaking of the Devil...

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Tue Aug 29 22:19:14 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 30 August 2006 00:57, Bill Bartlett wrote:

> Now that you mention it, I suspect my HP inkjet printer is possessed
> by the Devil.

All printers are possessed by the Devil. Even Postscript printers. Been that way since the days of Gutenberg and Aldus Manutius.

There is just no other explanation for the fact that still, in this day and age, the most intractable and vexatious daily computing problem is the problem of getting ink on a page in the right patterns.

Been in the business thirty years, meself, and the one single task that has eaten up more of my hours than any other is the task of printing a document. It's an eternal Promethean struggle, eternally renewed and eternally doomed.