[lbo-talk] Hippies

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 30 07:55:47 PDT 2006

On Aug 30, 2006, at 10:30 AM, Charles Brown wrote:

> Hippism was sort of a demi-generational descendent of Beatnikism.
> Both were
> indigneous American movements against comformity to post
> WWII ,American
> bourgeois culture

Yup, which is both the strength & weakness of the hippie thing. Chuck Grimes wonderfully evoked all the good stuff about it - but it was also a deeply individualistic movement. So it devolved easily into the apolitical lifestyle hippiedom of the 1970s that I remember well from visits to Key West and living in rural Albemarle County, Virginia. And now there's the upscale hippie market segment embodied by places like Woodstock, NY (93% white; median income, $60,837; average house value, $394,068) <http://www.arcwebservices.com/ services/servlet/EBIS_Reports?serviceName=FreeZip&errorURL=http%3A%2F% 2Freports.esribis.com%2Fesribis%3Fcommand% 3Dzipcodelookup&zipcode=12498&x=28&y=14>.