[lbo-talk] Sistani, Elections, and Sectarianism (was Poll: They really don't want us there)

Seth Ackerman sethackerman1 at verizon.net
Wed Aug 30 13:36:15 PDT 2006

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> The Iraqi people need a national, rather than sectarian, political
> organization that can allow them to express their preference for US
> withdrawal _if_ that's what they prefer,

Totally agreed.

> but sectarian elections as
> established by Washington clearly do not serve for that purpose.

I don't see why. What's stopping the UIA and the Sunni parties from forming an umbrella group, calling a press conference on the steps of the Iraqi parliament and demanding that the US leave? If that happened, it would be all but impossible for the US to stay a day longer.

It's obviously not the elections or the parliament that's preventing this from happening. It's the choices (under existing circumstances) of the Iraqis themselves.

Seth