[lbo-talk] Sadrism, in qualified defence of

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 31 08:26:22 PDT 2006

>From: Daniel Davies <d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk>
>
>[Sadr is] ... not very fond of gays and he advocates an entirely illiberal
>penal code and few
>civil liberties. But both those things are also true of Fidel Castro and
>being
>a Fidelista isn't taboo on this list is it?

Nope. BTW, I thought I'd share this gem from Robert Dalleck's recent bio of John F. Kennedy. If you want a "truly appalling character" (per below), JFK's your man: "Lyndon Johnson shared the conviction than an undetected conspiracy was behind Kennedy's assassination. He initially believed that the president's death was in revenge for Diem's killing. In time, he concluded that Castro supporters were responsible. 'Presdident Kennedy tried to get Castro, but Castro got Kennedy first,' he told Jooseph Califano, his domestic affairs chief. Kennedy's death came a year after Castro's government foiled a CIA-assassination plot in Havana. 'We had been operating a damned Murder Inc. in the Caribbean,' Johnson told a journalist."

>...Ahmadinejad (who I confess I see as a George Galloway
>figure; a basically appalling character who possesses the single redeeming
>feature that he winds up all the right people).

Well, GG seems to wind you up as well. I said on the list long ago that if UK has no use for Galloway's public services, please ship him stateside to be a voice of sanity in US politics. That offer still stands.

Carl