[lbo-talk] Sadrism, in qualified defence of

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 31 09:44:04 PDT 2006

On Aug 31, 2006, at 12:22 PM, Michael Perelman wrote:

> A colleague of mine in the accounting department is a Christian
> Iraqi with lots of
> family there. He has no love for Iraqi fundamentalism but
> considers Sadr to be
> honest and the only politician possibly capable of keeping the
> country from
> fragmenting into separate pieces.

But now we read that his own movement is fragmenting. Yoshie hopes he could overcome his anti-Baathist "sectarianism" - but how can the leader of a sect overcome sectarianism, esp when he's under fire for not being radical enough? How can someone whose base is poor Shiites unify such a diverse country?

Doug