[lbo-talk] hippies (Re: WMT goes orgo)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Aug 31 12:32:14 PDT 2006

Carl:

It appears mainly Europe is keeping the tradition alive now -- if, that is, Freetown Christiana is still viable, which isn't clear to me from the info available at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetown_Christiania>

[WS:] Yeah. I think that the main difference between Europe and the US in this respect is that European hippies and fellow travelers entered the mainstream political institutions, whereas US hippies remained at the periphery.

This is history repeating itself for the second time, this time as a farce ;) The first time was the organized labor - in Europe it transformed itself into a political force that eventually captured mainstream political institutions serving political interests of the working class a whole, here - it remained a club concerned mainly about wages of its members, and becoming more and more irrelevant.

What is wrong with this country's left that instead of establishing solid political institutions it veers into sectarianism and individualism?

Wojtek