[lbo-talk] A new citizenship test

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 07:56:36 PST 2006

On 11/30/06, ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:

> > Mr Gonzalez says those who want to become US citizens should not be
> > allowed to do so by simply rattling off historical facts they have
> > memorised but should show a passion for the country of which they are
> > becoming an integral part. The new questions will require those
> > taking the exam to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the American
> > political system and its history.
>
> Some of the new questions:
>
> > Why does the United States have three branches of government?

The idea behind the three branches of government is checks and balances and making sure that the executive does not have too much power. The George Bush administration has nullified this idea so now the above question is largely irrelevant and I am not quite sure why you want me to answer it. Supposedly Madison got this idea from Locke, Montesquieu, and Polybius' writings on the constitution of the Roman Republic. This last reference should give you some pause to think about what Madison had in mind. The rich should rule and should be able to maintain a strong ruling class who could stifle mob-rule, otherwise known as democracy. ( See the political writings of Wojtek Sokolowski for further explication on hatred of mob rule.)

The other function of dividing government into three branches - one not yet nullified by the Attorney General asking me this question and the George Bush administration, is to make popular change of any kind nearly impossible.

> > Name two rights that are only for US citizens

Voting and anal sex. The former sin is obvious. As for the latter sin: Immigrants can still be thrown out of the country. Yet for U.S. citizens the Supreme Court has made laws against anal sex unconstitutional. Also if you are in the armed forces you give up your right to anal sex, and all same sex, sex for that matter. But you give up a lot of rights if you are in the armed forces, or employed by a corporation for that matter. Sorry off-topic.

> > Name two cabinet-level positions

Spy Master and Chief (The New department of Homeland Insecurity) and Chief of Environmental Degradation and Gentle Genocide (Secretary of the Interior.)

> > Name one important idea found in the Declaration of Independence

Slavery. And Genocide. That's two. Sorry couldn't help myself.

> > What does the Constitution do?

Nothing now days. (See answer to question #1 in re: the current Bush administration.) No, no, maybe that's the wrong answer. How about "provide a basis for the constitution of Iraq." Shouldn't that work? In the 1850s it stopped the abolition of slavery in states that wanted to exclude slaves from their territory. (See Dred Scott.) In the first 20 years of the 20th century it stopped states from making laws from limiting bakers from working 19 hours a day 7 days a week if they should choose. (See Lochner.) How about the 14th Amendment? It was created so that Corporations could be considered persons and have some constitutional rights. Is that the correct answer? I'm so confused.