[lbo-talk] Time to Get Religion

Michael Hoover mhhoover at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 09:55:05 PST 2006

On 12/1/06, Yoshie Furuhashi <critical.montages at gmail.com> wrote:
> What to do in the USA? It's time for leftists to get religion, in two
> senses, for working masses at home and in the countries Washington
> militarily, politically, and economically invades are both
> unquestionably religious and will remain so in the near future:
> 1. Work with the religious on the very broadly defined left and
> engage the religious on the rest of the political spectrum, at home
> Yoshie

intention of above may well 'go beyond' my experiences but i've always worked with religious people on political stuff, first such activity was as a teen on anti-draft/anti-war actvities, spent a lot of years on community-based activities, anti-nuclear weapons, farmworker issues where many, if not most, folks were religious...

have spent the fall in mississippi, both the young democrats of america (yda) and the national black caucus of state legislators (nbcsl) have held their national conferences here in jackson since last month's election, neither of whom folks on this list are likely to consider left (nor would the groups themselves), in any event, i attended sessions of each...

yda discussion *included* religion, consensus seemed to be in favor of mild economic 'liberalism' and a bit more than mild 'social 'conservatism, i did not get a sense that most of the folks in the room were themselves particularly religious, they were seeking a political strategy...'

nbcsl discussion was *absent* religion although the room included many religious folks, most of whom are politically progressive by u.s. standards (there was, admittedly, limited attention paid to social issues), in fact, i think most self-identified leftists would have agreed with much of the commentary... mh