[lbo-talk] Time to Get Religion

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 3 13:46:05 PST 2006

B. wrote:

> "The pull that reified social relationships exercise
> upon human consciousness" -- so that's what anyone
> who's effected social change has done, eh, from
> suffragettes, to the old IWW

Actually, the classical IWWs engaged in intensive study of Marx's Capital. And not just volume one, but all three volumes. There are passages concerning this in Franklin Rosemont's Joe Hill book.

The myth of IWWs as hobo noble savages is irritating. As far as classical workers-movement Marxism goes, figures like Bill Haywood and Elizabeth Gurley Flynn were beacons.

>to Bookchin's critique of various
> ecological or environmentalist paradigms

Janet Biehl's short work on Ecofascism just popped into my head, so I will grant you that one.

> Bakunin's spot-on critiqute of statist intellectuals
> as our modern era's sacerdotal caste

I had exactly Bakunin in mind when I spoke of denunciation as opposed to critique.

> Ever heard of a fucking library? I run a used
> bookstore. We have hundreds of books on these
> subjects.

Have you read some of them? Care to share your thoughts?

> Are you arguing that leftists should embrace people
> who believe in imaginary friends in order to be more
> relevant?

No one has suggested that. I used to think the phrase "reading for comprehension" was a comical redundancy, but my experience with some individuals on this list suggests that many people do indeed engage in reading minus comprehension.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts.jsp

> knee-jerk anti-anarchist

Your persecution complex is peeking out. You might wish to talk to a pyschoanalyst about that.

> If this were an Indymedia board you'd probably be

Indymedia?!! Now I'm insulted! We semi-intelligent types wouldn't be caught dead on such middlebrow forums. We prefer to suck our lattes in comfort, laptop computer at the ready, regaling each other with Tucholsky quotations in an attempt to compete for each other's sexual partners.

Indymedia...well I never! If you keep resorting to low blows like that I will cut off communication immediately!

> Lack of ideology critique? Have you ever cracked a
> book written by anarchists?

Chomsky's Manufacturing Consent, to take one example. Lot's of detailed institutional analysis (to use his own phrase) of the North American news media. Nothing approaching ideology-critique.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Have a burning question? Go to www.Answers.yahoo.com and get answers from real people who know.