[lbo-talk] Time to Get Religion

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 14:38:20 PST 2006

On 12/3/06, Chuck <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:

> There is a growing movement against religion in this country.

2,400, wow.

The End of Faith by Sam Harris has sold 200,000. Betcha the Tim LaHaye series sells that weekly.

http://www.godlessamericans.org/gamow.shtml

GODLESS AMERICANS RALLY ON DC MALL, CALL FOR NEW VOICE IN POLITICAL ARENA.

"We're flabbergasted," said Ellen Johnson, President of American Atheists and head of the Godless Americans March On Washington Task Force which organized the rally. "We're just delighted at the size of this crowd and the numbers that turned out."

Observers from C-SPAN estimated the size of the crowd at over 2,400, as did members of the Military Atheists & Freethinkers group which provided security for the event. It was a pleasant surprise, though, for those who had spent months organizing the March as well as those marching on the Mall. Many referred to their exuberance and state of empowerment by just being surrounded by so many fellow nonbelievers. "This is the first time we're the majority at some kind of major event," said one participant who displayed an American flag.

-- Michael Pugliese