[lbo-talk] Time to Get Religion

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Mon Dec 4 06:51:29 PST 2006

> Fascinating!
>
> So their God has renounced the 10 commandments in favour of 10 suggestions
> I assume? What do they call this "religion"?
>
> If it isn't authoritarian, it simply isn't religion.
>
> Bill Bartlett

Okay. Then it isn't religion. Call it faith or a calling to selflessness. Although I'm not part of this church, as I am not a Christian, I've attended many services and have spoken at length with members, as well as the minister, an African-American who worked in the Sanctuary Movement during the 80s as well as in El Salvador itself and Nicaragua. Currently, they're engaged in antiwar work, reaching out to local Muslim groups (this area has one of the highest Muslim populations in the States), as well as to Jewish groups in an effort at dialogue and working together against the occupation of the West Bank and the assaults on Gaza. It's really quite amazing to see, and knocks the cynicism right out of you -- unless you need yours, that is.

Dennis