[lbo-talk] Women, Religion, and Secular Leftists (was Rabbi Lerner's address on TV!)

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Dec 4 09:04:22 PST 2006

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Analytics doesn't tell you the sex ratio, but lists of subscribers to
> print publications can (though some subscribers can be sharing
> publications with their partners). Maybe you can stop by at MR's
> office (new address!) with the list of LBO subscribers and compare it
> with MR's? I'd be very, very, very surprised if the sex ratio of the
> MR or LBO subscribers turned out to be better than that of Hamas
> membership, let alone the churches that Dennis' Perrin's wife, my
> partner, Chip Berlet, etc. attend.
>
> I do know who submits articles to MR and/or MRZine. Overwhelmingly
> men! (The sex ratio in submission is far worse than the sex ratio in
> publication.)
>
> Face it, organized religion attracts both men and women, but generic
> secular leftist orgs, even journals, have trouble doing so.

I think the main reason behind this gender ratio has more to do with the fact that men are actively encouraged to be interested in politics and women are not. I also think that the other main reason has to do with the tone of political lists. Men are more into confrontational styles of argument, which are the rule on most political e-mail lists and discussion boards.

One thing I'm curious about. Why is that women don't post as much, but they are better about donating money? Do women tend to post anonymously more or are they mostly reading arguments and discussions and not participating?

Chuck -------------------------- Bread and Roses Web Design serving small businesses, non-profits, artists and activists http://www.breadandrosesweb.com/