[lbo-talk] Time to Get Religion

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Mon Dec 4 19:08:29 PST 2006

Ironically, you can actually challenge this notion with the most orthodox of Christian thinkers, Paul. Paul argues that zealousness for the law and zealousness for the love of god oppose one another. To be zealous for the law means that you are missing out on the key element of Christianity, which is love of God and love of the neighbor. This is not to say that the law should be abandoned, because in Paul's eyes these are designed to get one towards these goals, but the emphasis should be put on them rather than on the law. (I really can't believe I could recite that. It's a little embarrassing... recent Theo-political class.) There are certainly more radical forms of this logic that argue that the law goes against this love of god and love of the neighbor as well.

robert wood