[lbo-talk] Time to Get Religion

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 11:17:39 PST 2006

On 12/3/06, Angelus Novus <fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Chomsky's Manufacturing Consent, to take one example.
> Lot's of detailed institutional analysis (to use his
> own phrase) of the North American news media. Nothing
> approaching ideology-critique.

So if _Manufacturing Consent_ or _Necessary Illusions_, _The Political Economy of Human Rights_, _On Power and Ideology: The Managua Lectures_ or to name some essays I have read "The Responsibility of Intellectuals", "Objectivity and Liberal Scholarship", "The Revolutionary Pacifism of A. J. Muste: On the Background of the Pacific War", "Intellectuals and the State", "The Remaking of History", "Foreign Policy and the Intelligentsia", "Notes On Orwell's Problem", ... if all of this doesn't provide a critique of ideology, then I have no idea what you mean by "critique" and what you mean by "ideology." Perhaps you are using these terms in an esoteric way that I don't quite understand. So once again I ask you to please explain. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20061205/0813e45b/attachment.htm>