[lbo-talk] UN: Richest 2% of adults own more than half of global household wealth

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue Dec 5 12:42:28 PST 2006

At around 5/12/06 10:47 am, bitch wrote:
> At 10:25 AM 12/5/2006, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>> On Dec 5, 2006, at 9:46 AM, bitch wrote:
>>
>>> I remember that, the other thing they'd said was that, were we to
>>> disburse the world's wealth evenly, everyone would have $60k a year
>>> -- which was a fuckload of money in 1985.
>>
>> This is about wealth, not income.
>
> Which is why I wrote "disburse the world's wealth evenly". I actually
> learned that in a frosh poli sci class, yessirree, the diff between
> income and wealth.

I think Doug is mentioning wealth vs income because you wrote, in the quoted text above: $60k a year. From Doug's calculations, it seemed like wealth redistribution would yield $45k per person one time. Or am I getting this all wrong? Perhaps the redistribution (being more than $45k) would yield $65k/year in returns? (it's a minor point anyway, it seems, since most of us would consider either a good thing in some manner).

--ravi