[lbo-talk] Ideology

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Dec 5 16:05:01 PST 2006

Ideology is not confronted by argument but by practice; this is the point behind the various formulations by various marxists about the importance of contradictions. Practice creates contexts in which ideology can become visible and in conflict with perceived actuality. One of the greatest blows against ruling-class ideology in modern history was cutting off the head of Charles I. In the short run that was a fiasco and led only to the Restoration. But nevertheless it became increasingly difficult after that to pretend that subjects were subjects because kings were kings and increasingly obvious that kings were kings only because subjects were subjects. I say obvious, but actually it took a century or more and quite a few brilliant men and women to theorize it in such a way that it could be built on to illuminate further practice.

But the first breakthrough is _always_ in practice. You can often counter propaganda with Chomskyan clear statement or at least with a clear enough leaflet or stumpspeech or lunchhour chat, but not unless practice ahs begun to weaken the ideology which gives resonance to the propaganda.

Carrol