[lbo-talk] Trump on Spy

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Dec 6 05:53:59 PST 2006

New York Post [Page Six] - December 6, 2006

Trump Fingers Spy 'failure'

DON'T invite Donald Trump and Graydon Carter to the same party. Trump read the Page Six story about Carter's recent interview with Bergdorf Goodman magazine, in which Carter seemed to gloat that his Spy magazine dubbed Trump "the short-fingered vulgarian." "In fact," Trump tells us, "my fingers are long and beautiful, as, it has been well documented, are various other parts of my body. From what I hear, the same cannot be said of editors of the failed Spy. Spy was a total failure and they're trying to resurrect its memory from the ashes. The magazine went out of business, and everyone lost a lot of money, including Graydon Carter." Trump flatly denies he ever signed a 64-cent check, a 32-cent check, or a 16-cent check, "and I would like them to try and show it to me." As for Carter? "While I have always liked Graydon Carter, he is lucky to be working for Si Newhouse, especially with how badly Vanity Fair magazine is currently doing. Without Si, he'd just be another overweight editor with bad hair."