[lbo-talk] Time to Get Religion

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Wed Dec 6 03:35:27 PST 2006

I remember discussing this issue with a friend. After I complained that Zizek was incomprehensible, he replied by saying that the real problem was when you could understand him. Ironically, the Althusser that he references is much more comprehensible. I'll probably write more about this, but probably the best person to to at to understand ideology is Gramsci, particularly with his conceptions of 'common sense', 'hegemony', etc. It seems one of the main differences between a Chomskian analysis and and a reading of ideology is that there is a real emphasis on an unconscious element in the latter, where the former tends to operate within the logic of the liberal subject.

robert wood