[lbo-talk] Putin: Russians love him!

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 6 14:10:25 PST 2006

> I'm talking about people who are to the left of
> Dems, who nonetheless
> take seriously all the crap about what a
> megalomaniacal autocrat
> Putin is. You can say that Russia's pretty free, and
> that he turned
> around a country that was in a death spiral and
> they'll act like you
> beamed in from Mars.

You would think that preventing an area of the Earth's land mass about equal in size to the surface of the Moon from collapsing into total poverty and collapse, nay, leading it into an economic boom, would be considered an incredible achievement. But I guess not. Have people forgotten that Russia lost like 60% of its economy in the 1990s or something? I mean, fuckin' hell, it's a world-historical accomplishment.