[lbo-talk] Women, Religion, and Secular Leftists (was Rabbi Lerner's address on TV!)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Dec 6 15:52:19 PST 2006

On Dec 6, 2006, at 6:38 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> On the secular Left, too, it is mainly men who do the talking.

I feel like I've stepped into a time tunnel. That people live in dimensions other than their class position, that religion counts for a lot, the men dis women constantly, that male political intellectuals have not taken feminism seriously, that consciousness is often at odds with material position, all in ways that Marxists have insufficiently appreciated - well, people (some of them Marxists even) have been writing and talking about that for decades. Which isn't to say any of this is unimportant - but you sound as if you're discovering this for the first time, or revealing it to an audience that's never heard it all before. A little acknowledgment that many have gone before you in these discoveries might be apt.

Doug