[lbo-talk] Prose Style, was Time to Get Religion

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 6 18:43:20 PST 2006

By the way, I hope I didn't sound too glib; I realize there's many things aimed at highly technical audiences which just look like impenetrable notation, despite being honestly written. But in those situations, there are people who try explaining them to less sophisticated audiences.

Take the Nobel-winning physicist Feynman. People love his _Lectures on Physics_ because it makes people feel like they can understand it if they devote the time. When discussing something actually hard for humans to grasp, Feynman says things like, "If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics."

In programming, it's legitimate to criticize someone for writing something impenetrable code. A well-known quote is: "Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."

With Zizek, I watched the documentary "Zizek!" and even he criticized Lacan (I believe it was Lacan) for the mystery and false profundity with which he spoke on TV. I vaguely recall that Zizek mentioned the pressure on him to just keep saying something, to maintain the image of the hyperkinetic intellectual. (Please correct me if I'm wrong -- I stopped watching after a while, as it was kinda depressing.)

Certainly, a given critic might arrogantly underestimate the ease of something. But in general, I do think unreadability it's a legitimate criticism to seriously consider. It may point to a lack of good introductions and popularizations.

Tayssir