[lbo-talk] Hitch: women aren't funny

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Wed Dec 6 23:30:04 PST 2006

At 5:30 PM -0800 6/12/06, joanna wrote:
>Doug Henwood wrote:
>><http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2007/01/hitchens200701?
>>printable=true&currentPage=all>
>>
>>Why Women Aren't Funny
>
>God, what a STUPID asshole.
>
>However, there is an asymmetry in women prizing humor in a man and
>men not caring about it in a woman.
>
>--Humor in a man means that he is capable of surprising you and this
>has sexual implications that are welcomed by women -- given that men
>can be so, hmmm, machine-like.

We're only trying to live up to expectations for heavens sake!

>--Humor in a woman means both uppityness and possibility of suprise
>and so is not welcomed by men because they largely prefer to control
>things.

Whereas women of course already control the important things. However part of the deal is that men are extended the courtesy of an illusion of control. Frankly, we can get a bit put out when even that is jerked out from under us.

>Women can be very funny, but it's largely discouraged.

OK, you now have my permission to be funny, so go ahead.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas

PS How many men does it take to wall-paper a room?