[lbo-talk] Prose Style, was Time to Get Religion

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 10:36:22 PST 2006

He has flashes of inspired thought and, particularly in the 1970s, was trying to work through what seemed to be very dynamic changes that only in retrospect seem understandable. His mirror of production and system of objects not to mention political economy of the sign are all very good attempts to deal, in real time, with what people now refer to as postmodernism or even postfordism (the latter because Baudrillard is one of the only cultural critics mentioned by name in Aglietta's germinal text on Regulationist economics. For him, Baudrillard was looking at something important at that moment in the way that the system was working in terms of producing demand and a social consumption norm which was slowly being shorn away from identity basd more on social location relative to production.)

I actually think the biggest problem with Baudrillard (though it applies to most of the key theorists of the last 30 or so years, Butler included) is that the people who use them or their theories often haven't really read them but are getting third or fourth hand understandings which, while they might sort of make sense when compared to the original, aren't really borne out by the entire argument in the oiginal text. On this account, I am a bit of a traditionalist. I think that there is an original author and text--at least in a technical sense that there is a text one should read in order to come up with the resistant or alternative readings: when one comes up with alternative readings and reappropriates concepts without actually having read them, that's a different process than the poststructuralist indeterminacy of meaning. It's just lazy.