[lbo-talk] Term Crooked Politician Takes on New Meaning in India

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 7 11:46:04 PST 2006

You do realize that if India were covered in Anglo-Saxon-stan like Russia is, this story would be on the front page, fervid editorials would be being written about how Singh had created a "climate of crime" and was therefore personally responsible, and pundits would be talking about whether it was time to "confront India."

I suspect that if a few Indian oligarchs, or the equivalent thereof, were to be expelled, you probably actually would start seeing coverage like that.

--- Sujeet Bhatt <sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> in which the sons
> of powerful men were acquitted.
>
> The media attention touched a nerve among the
> public, and led to mass
> demonstrations, candlelight vigils and petitions for
> new trials.
>
> In the more prominent case, a model was shot dead in
> 1999 in a bar
> full of celebrities. The accused: the son of a
> senior Congress Party
> politician.
>
> He was acquitted earlier this year after what has
> been called a shoddy
> police investigation, and after witnesses refused to
> cooperate. A high
> court has now reheard the case, but is yet to
> deliver its judgment.
>
> In the second case, Santosh Kumar Singh, the son of
> a senior police
> officer, was accused of killing a law student in
> 1996. He was
> acquitted three years later for lack of evidence,
> but in October,
> after the case was reopened, he was found guilty and
> sentenced to
> hang.
>
> Some citizens are hoping the convictions of Soren
> and Singh mean the
> law will now be applied to everyone equally.
>
> "A message needs to be sent out to the people that
> the law is above
> positions and titles," they say.
>
> However, others are not confident. The
> Bangalore-based Public Affairs
> Center, which conducted the study on criminality and
> members of
> parliament, says political parties have shown little
> interest in
> weeding out those with criminal pasts.
>
> Samuel Paul, who heads the center, says that may be
> in part because
> the coalition government is dependent for its
> survival on the smaller
> parties.
>
> "Because of the competitive nature of the political
> game, I don't
> think anyone has the courage to do anything about
> it," he said. "For
> example our study, copies have been sent to all the
> MP's, (members of
> parliament) political parties - I don't think we
> even got a single
> letter back acknowledging it. I think there is a
> kind of silence about
> all this, and every party hoping they won't be
> caught."
>
> He may have reason for concern. Political parties
> admit that many
> legislators have criminal links. But like Tom
> Vadakan, a spokesman for
> the Congress Party, politicians remain vague about
> how they intend to
> tackle the problem.
>
> "This so-called nexus that has been in existence,
> one can't deny
> that," Vadakan said. " Wherever there is human
> nature, there is this
> tendency to try to circumvent certain things
. That