[lbo-talk] Prose Style, was Time to Get Religion

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Dec 7 12:37:29 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> According to that piece on Chomsky's political philosophy by I can
> remember who in NLR about 10 years ago, Noam believes that we're all
> hardwired for freedom, and it's only external distortions (e.g., a
> bad state) that inhibit us from realizing this inner essence.

Observe Ivan as he grows up and you will realize that Noam was right. The problem (other than the sate) is that a lot of parents make kids trade in their desire for freedom for their desire for love. That is "If you don't want to be some kind of reflection/copy of me, I will not love you."

However, I do think that Chomsky was dead wrong in his essentialist linguistic position.

Joanna