[lbo-talk] Bush: Addicted to war & failure

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 13:17:22 PST 2006

clipped this from a clip on some liberal blog:

President Bush and some of the most vocal Capitol Hill backers of the Iraq war from both parties gathered yesterday for what an insider described as a group therapy session.

"Or maybe it was more like an intervention," said the source, reconsidering the description. "And the President was grateful and welcoming."

Bush met with a grim-looking gaggle of 14 lawmakers and several White House staffers hours after the Iraq Study Group issued its report urging the President to order an about-face on his Iraq strategy. --------------

Its very striking for the mainstream media and high level USG aides to be presenting Bush as an addict, who's having an intervention done on him by even other hawk politicians. A frat boy who only now realizes how in over his head he is; manipulated by extremists of the right who are now mostly jumping off the sinking ship; one of those rare cases where war, chaos and misery was caused not by the efficient progress of the imperialist/capitalist machine, but rather an anomaly where a genial boob's popularity put him in a position to mess with stuff he nothing about in a way that has caused hundreds of thousands of violent deaths.

I by now agree with the proposition that the Iraq war and occupation was not the program of the elite, but the pet project of a cabal who got a personable idiot to front for them. But this begs the question, is it really necessarily better to have 'a divided and confused imperial US' as yoshie advocates, which our present govt surely is. If the giant accidentally ties his shoelaces together, maybe it doesn't slow him down, but causes chaotic thrashing in the china shop?

My main conceputal tool for understanding this administration is now Borat, thrashing around breaking stuff in the antique store. In fact I would not be surprised if Bush tried to fix it with the public by offering to trade "my fancy wristwatch from the future", or 2000 bags of pubic hair. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20061207/42eb8ca3/attachment.htm>