[lbo-talk] Prose Style, was Time to Get Religion

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 7 13:53:36 PST 2006

> Now C doesn't know all this b/c he doesn't
> aprticipate in those discussions
> but is, for some reason, considered a heavy weight
> who did happen to know them.

Maybe Chomsky is considered a heavyweight because he is the pre-eminent linguistics scholar of all time whose works set the standard and provide the received view for all to attack and modify.

Actually I thinkj he understands F better than you suggest. C's human nature is pretty thin, basically a capacity to speak gramatically and produce new sentences. He also holds that there is sort of an instinct to be free, but Foucault agrees with this, as noted in a previous post, he holds that while domination is inescapable, resistance to it is inevitable. So actually they are on the same page on this point about human nature. For the rest, F likes to play up constructivist stories about human history, while C likes to talk about the evils of imperialism, so they are not singing from the same hymnbook.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Cheap talk? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates. http://voice.yahoo.com