[lbo-talk] Prose Style, was Time to Get Religion

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Dec 7 14:11:07 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2006, at 2:53 PM, bitch wrote:
>
>> Which is to say, Chomsky characterizes Foucault as suggesting that
>> what he's about is criticizing the content of of the concept of
>> human nature C offered. But foucault is not. He is denying that
>> there is a human nature at all.
>

> According to that piece on Chomsky's political philosophy by I can
> remember who in NLR about 10 years ago, Noam believes that we're all
> hardwired for freedom, and it's only external distortions (e.g., a
> bad state) that inhibit us from realizing this inner essence.

And this is exactly my problem with Chomsky: by referring to this "inner essence of autonomy and freedom", he's contributing to the ideology about human nature that helps capitalism to thrive. In fact, I'll go so far as to claim that capitalism couldn't function without the ideology of the essentially free individual! This insight--that people who purportedly challenge and undermine power relations can in fact reinforce them--is nicely analyzed by the Foucaults, Butlers, and Zizeks. If you pooh-pooh it all as intellectual elitism, you're tacitly approving and valorizing ideological claims like Chomsky's that sustain capitalism and all of its brutal forms of exploitation.

One more try: Orwell's point about impoverishing language as a means of social control still stands. If we wish to contain thought and behavior in narrow, socially approved parameters, we should eliminate all "jargon" and make language as "simple" as possible. (I can't resist: the will to "simple" language is an instantiation of--the will to power!)

Miles