[lbo-talk] Prose Style, was Time to Get Religion

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Dec 7 15:00:24 PST 2006

joanna wrote:

> Yes, I understand. But freedom and dependence are not contradictory. And
> freedom is not rebellion (mere reaction).

YES! I've been disagreeing with Joanna quite a bit lately, but this recognition of the unity of freedom/dependence is central to thinking straight about social relations. And (while there are complexities here) it is also important to recognize a distinction between rebellion and (conscious) revolution. Individual rebellion is a juvenile disease to recover from.

Carrol

P.S. Yoshie & I had a long debate with Catherine Driscoll on this, focused on Austen's Mansfield Park. We argued that dependence was crucial to healthy human relations, she argued that it was always bad. The debate was lengthy and disorganized. I would like to have it again some day in a more sedate and careful form.