[lbo-talk] Prose Style, was Time to Get Religion

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 7 15:26:17 PST 2006

There might be a different reason for thinking Jerry M is right. Someone coming out of the background of training in the works of Feynman and Wheeler will have the appropriate context to talk sense about physics, although it may be Greek to the innumerate. Likewise if you cut your teeth on Connor and Kagan (yes, that neo-con jerkoff is a top-flight Thucycides scholar) and Ober, you will have the context to say useful things about Thucydides that background in Butler, Derrida, and DeMan will not give you. Etc. This sort of training provides the context that makes sense of the "Bring me nails" or "Bring me ten pictures I like" examples put forward by Carrol. Frequently the writing one does with this background will not be accessible to the ordinary reader of, say, the New York Review of Books, It may be highly technical and obscure to someone without the right background and training.

As a lawyer I run into this all the time. Arguing a case, I say, plaintiff has no standing, or this case must be dismissed because discretionary administrative nonenforcement is nonreviewable, I don't have to explain to the court what that means, we all went to law school. I may have to provide a cite, in fact I would, but that would not help the uninitiated grasp the point, for which you'd need a tedious explanation (or a law degree).

Also within the law. Gave a talk on a method of assigning lead class counsel and determining court-approved attorneys' fees (if you were up on class action you'd know that expression was redundant) to my law school as a job talk -- which I tried to make as a clear and interesting and intelligible to an audience of a widely disparate range of lawyers/law professors as I could, but even then the questions revealed that lack of background was a problem for people who don't do civ pro and class actions in particular. A very smart criminalist had never heard of Milberg Weiss, the leading plaintiffs' securities class action firm in the biz (despite the fact that they've just been indicted for all sorts bad behavior). Another colleague commented to me afterward that a colleague had commented to _her_ that my proposal would mean a lot more money for the plaintiff class (also a redundant term) if I was right -- which was the point of my talk that I hit with a sledgehammer.

So, it's nice to write clearly enough so people can understand you. But "people" is contextual. If "people" is my law faculty or the court of appeals, I talk one way. If the readers of the New York Review, I talk another. If the members of LBO, I talk a third. If my kids, a fourth. "Clear," then, is not an unambiguous term.

Two final points. Virtual amateurs or autodidacts like Foucault may lack scholarly chops in, e.g., ancient history, but may bring fresh perspectives and new questions that the professionally trained don't think of. I think this is especially true of Foucault -- I wouldn't rely on his research, but I am inspired by his questions. And some writers, and I'd include Butler, Derrida, Baudriallard, and Heidegger in that lot, as well as Wilfrid Sellars -- are just obscurantists whether through intent or incapacity. I mean obscurantists whatever background you have.