[lbo-talk] Prose Style, was Time to Get Religion

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 7 18:40:19 PST 2006

>From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
>To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org
>Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Prose Style, was Time to Get Religion
>Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 17:05:01 -0600
>
>Carl Remick wrote:
>
> > As wordy novelists go, Conrad is infinitely more enjoyable than Henry
>James,
> > who had a tendency (as has been famously noted) to chew more than could
>he
> > could bite off.
>
>Oh pish. What Maisie Knew, The Awkward Age, and The Sacred Fount are as
>wonderful as any novel ever written.

YMMV. For me Henry James is trial by circumlocution. (BTW, I see that I snarled up my punchline above, so let me untangle it for the record: H. James had a tendency to chew more than he could bite off.)

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Get the latest Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta version. Join now. http://ideas.live.com