[lbo-talk] Kenneth Burke

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 8 11:26:40 PST 2006

Kenneth Burke's prose style led to the most serious disagreement in the history of the University of Chicago over the judgement of a graduate paper.

The student had been influenced by Burke.

Some members of the committee flunked his paper.

Other members gave it an A.

I think one can critiicize _particular_ instances of a style of writing (simple, complicated, pomo, renaissance, ghetto slang). I've come to think it really pretty stupid to criticize any style in the abstract. Neither can one praise any style in the abstract, but only particular instances of it.

General criticisms of a general category almost always collapse into pretty banal tautology.

Carrol