[lbo-talk] Bush Backs Away From 2 Key Ideas of Panel on Iraq

Seth Ackerman sethackerman1 at verizon.net
Fri Dec 8 19:38:44 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Brit Hume & Co. really played up this conflict on Fox last night (and
> how about that NY Post cover on the Baker commish? "SURRENDER
> MONKEYS"!). So I wonder how this is going to work out. I'm guessing
> that Baker et al speak for the big bourgeoisie and Bush doesn't. So
> will there be a campaign against him forthcoming?

This is one theory. I have another one, though: Bush has *already* decided to withdraw from Iraq. But he wants to salvage the neocon dream and his own place as its figurehead for the post-presidential future. So he appointed Gates to make him the fall-guy in the eyes of the base. Meanwhile, Bush will keep talking tough and loud about how we're not cutting and running while quietly the government incremantally prepares for a withdrawal.

Seth