[lbo-talk] A Case for Difficulty and/or Prolixity

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 8 21:50:40 PST 2006

On 12/9/06, bitch <bitch at pulpculture.org> wrote:
> I also argue that Chomsky relies on a vulgar marxism which is easy to
> explain. As a consequence, he can't speak to the experience of oppressed
> groups in this society such as women, queers, and so forth.

Well, I once asked Chomsky for an intro to econ, and he strongly recommended a book which he blurbed. It immediately argued against this vulgar marxism, this tunnel vision of economism. Instead, it discussed different spheres of life, like the kinship, community, economic, and political. And it directly argued against the vulgar marxist claim that the economic "base" is dominant in any and all economies.

(Rather, it claims that we'd have to empirically study a society to see the relations between these spheres of life; theory alone is insufficient to guess at some pattern of dominance between them. The book incidentally is Hahnel's _The ABCs of Political Economy_.)

Tayssir