[lbo-talk] Primitive accumulation and Bitch: puppet master to the socks!

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Sat Dec 9 16:47:40 PST 2006

bitch wrote:

> The only solution is, possibly, virtual private hosting or dedicated
> hosting. I know the former would work, but I'm not sure about the latter.
>
> IOW, the solutions offered -- going to other similarly affordable hosts
> -- aren't solutions at this time.
>
> And no, getting the police involved is impossible. you have to show
> major monetary damages first to get any federal help. I think the min.
> is $5k. And it's really hard to track. The IP packets are coming from
> China, but virtually all denial of service attacks use IP spoofing to
> hide the true origin of the attack. Many of them also simply used
> compromised 'zombie' computers -- like an ordinary computer users who
> doesn't run a secure machine. Once they've hacked into the zombie, they
> can us it to launch the attack and use IP spoofing to add still more
> layers of difficulty tracing the origin.

If you are open to it, how about the folks on LBO-talk taking the lead in raising some funds to help you move to a new hosting situation?

Your explanation sounds pretty bizarre, but I've run into enough crazies running Infoshop to know that people will deliberately go out of their way to attack your project. I mostly have to deal with rumors spread about our project by other comrades. It still amazes me that the biggest threat to our anarchist website is other anarchists! Not the FBI and not right-wingers. People like us.

Infoshop gets hit by tons of traffic, but I heard last week that we pay $150/month for hosting at a co-lo in California.

Are you sure that your bandwidth problems aren't being caused by spambots? We have significant problems with spammers even though we run a tight ship. Spammers take up bandwidth even if they don't manage to post anything. This morning Infoshop News had 129 users, which really consisted of 100 sessions generated by spambots using proxy IP addresses.

Well, good luck.

Chuck -------------------------- Bread and Roses Web Design serving small businesses, non-profits, artists and activists http://www.breadandrosesweb.com/