[lbo-talk] Prose Style, was Time to Get Religion

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 10 06:37:51 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> People often say one of two things about Butlerish
> stuff: either it's old & obvious, or its obscurity
> serves to hide its emptiness. She got her start as
> a Hegel scholar; she'd be the first to admit she
> comes out of an intellectual tradition.

Interesting to know. I will really have to give Butler a more serious investigation.

In the discourse of the radical, anti-parliamentary (i.e. autonomist) left in Germany, you have two intellectual camps:

The Hegelian, dialectical, Lukacs/Adorno/Krahl, analysis of the commodity-form camp, which, according to mood and tendency, can also include figures like Holloway, Postone, Backhaus, etc.

and then you have:

The Nietzschean, Heideggerian, Foucault/Deleuze/Negri camp, and Butler would usually be ordered into this camp.

Both sides, interestingly enough, ground themselves in Marx and Freud, but for entirely different reasons.

It's interesting to see Butler associated with Hegel. Oh well, time to read Butler...

____________________________________________________________________________________ Any questions? Get answers on any topic at www.Answers.yahoo.com. Try it now.