[lbo-talk] primitive accumulation and public debt

abu hartal abuhartal at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 10 11:29:29 PST 2006

"Given rise to" strikes me as the key phrase here - capitalization of this sort created modern finance several centuries ago. It's now so well-established that the word "primitive" belongs nowhere near it. Is there anything more routine than a Treasury note?

Doug

Yet today is Bush is turning the state into a site of capitalisation, for rentiers and contractors, at the expense of a working class which will suffer reduced benefits and rising taxes. And with the state having put itself in debt it will be forced to make all those public armaments pay. So the working class here and abroad will pay, is paying in another way. As Michael Perelman says here there is no veneer here of voluntary transaction between the classes. It's a forcible and bloody capitalisation of wealth, though my focus is less on directly forcible or primitive accumulation in the peripheries than in the homeland as we now refer to it. I also do not mean to imply that behind the the apparently voluntary transactions does not lie the power of the state; yet even here coercion comes to the fore with the state allowing employers to void contractual pension benefits. Force is coming out from the background, but the function of forcible or primitive accumulation is not today the creation of capital for the purposes of valorization but providing vents for capital already overaccumulated.

Return in form, change in substance--dialectics.

Abu Hartal

_________________________________________________________________ FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar - get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/