[lbo-talk] The Best American Poetry 2004

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 10 19:27:31 PST 2006

Well, you know, poetry is often, umm, opaque. Obtuse is not the word that leaps to mind in characterizing Donne, Herbert, Marvell, Milton -- or to leap ahead and across the channel, Verlaine, Rimbaud, Baudelaire, or across the Rhine, Hoelderin, Novalis, Rilke (Goethe's deceptively easy looking, but don't be fooled -- Shakespeare and Dante are like this as well) -- or further east, Akhmatova or Mandelstam. You want stuff that goes down easy, stick to Heine, A.E. Houseman or Robert Frost -- poets of no small magnitude, and whom I respect tremendously, but they won't make you work the way Donne, Rilke or Akhmatova do.