[lbo-talk] Prose Style, was Time to Get Religion

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sun Dec 10 17:12:11 PST 2006

At around 9/12/06 12:26 am, Jerry Monaco wrote:
> On 12/7/06, Eric <rayrena at realtime.net> wrote:
>>
>> Isn't criticizing people for not writing "clear" prose really
>> criticizing them for not adhering to a norm? And isn't this norm
>> developed within a society that privileges the white, the male, the
>> heterosexual, and the European? Why are, eg, Spivak and Butler
>> supposed to write like Chomsky, Orwell, and Bertrand Russell?

This I am afraid doesn't help much since the need to quote "clear" is the issue and the following questions cannot be answered without first removing those quotes. Gayatri Spivak as an eastern woman (judging by the name) would be found part of a society that is capable of developing such norms i.e., it might turn out to be a matter of credit to create and participate in a tradition of clear writing and it would be racist/sexist etc to suggest that such a tradition is merely male or European.

--ravi