Foucault & Chmsky ( Was Re: [lbo-talk] Prose Style, was Time to Get Religion)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 11 11:13:40 PST 2006

But Foucault is most decided NOT interested in the sociology of discourses of resistance, in contrast the way he is interested in the sociology of the discourses of power. He has no sustained analytical writings about, e.g., Marxism or alternatives thereto -- which would be the natural thing for a French intellectual of his vintage to take up if he wanted to "study the ways in which people construct knowledge about" resistance. His comments in interviews on resistance are mostly substantive.

Asked in an interview collected in the Sheridan's Foucault Reader, I believe (I am away from my library) Why, if what he says about the inescapability of power is true, we should resist, he replies typically, The question is not Why but How.

Substantively, talk of human nature or the nature of anything else implies talk of surrounding context. There is no such thing as the nature of humans or anything else apart from a context. The nature of X is its disposition or propensity to behave so-and-so in a given set or environmental circumstances. There, ipso facto, to talk of human nature is to talk of the conditions in which dispositions or propensities are manifested.

I have no idea why this point is so hard to grasp, especially because the alternative is wholly incoherent. I guess it is a testimonial to the power of ideology that when even smart, philosophically sophisticated, scientifically educated people hear the words "human nature" they find it difficult to get past a notion of a nature which unlike the nature of anything else in being independent of circumstances, despite the fact that the idea of such a nature is self-evidently nonsensical once it is stated.

Arrggh.