Re: [lbo-talk] Iran’s New Power Balance

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 13:43:06 PST 2006

> On Dec 11, 2006, at 3:42 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> > Politics in Iran, even as it is, seems to me to be much livelier than
> > in Japan or the USA.
>
> Yeah, I think a conference on the Holocaust featuring David Duke and
> Robert Faurisson is the peak of liveliness!

Far more interesting is the faction fight in Iran's power elite, which generally goes unnoticed among Western leftists except Iranian leftists and Iran Studies scholars in the West. The way you look at Iran is the same as the way most Western liberals look at Russia.

On 12/11/06, Dennis Perrin <dperrin at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Yeah, I think a conference on the Holocaust featuring David Duke and
> > Robert Faurisson is the peak of liveliness!
> >
> > Doug
>
> That's because, as a powerless Western leftist, Doug, you can't see the
> whole picture.
>
> Next up: Were Hiroshima and Nagasaki really nuked?

Next up is, was the nuking of Hiroshima and Nagasaki justified? Unlike the Holocaust, that's still a question in the political mainstream of the United States, and the weight of the public opinion among the pundit class is on the side of those who think that it was either morally justified or militarily necessary, which is the reason why the Smithsonian Institution could display only the Enola Gay minus the best historical research about the first and last use of atomic bombs and historians like Gar Alperovitz are called "revisionist."

The USG has yet to renounce the right to the nuclear first strike.

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>