[lbo-talk] Primitive accumulation - Harvey on Marx

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 11 14:40:13 PST 2006

I am glad we agree on the first point. On the second I have my doubts. Some of these are expressed in my skepticism about value theory as saying really anything more than "we don't need capitalists to make the economy run; they are superfluous/" Analytically an important issue/problem/objection to reading more into it is something than that is something that sometimes comes out in our intermittent discussions about "productive" (of value) vs "unproductive" labor. I'm not persuaded that this classification will bear the weight value theory, especially the vulgar version (that all profits represent (realized) surplus value understood as embodied abstract labor), must place on it. I just don't think you can sort out what work is value producing and what isn't. Thus I'm doubtful that we can say that, for example, financial labor, raising capital, for example, isn't value producing (in a non-tautological sense), and certainly that it isn't profit producing. Financial, legal, accounting, advertising, etc. work is no less work and no less necessary to the operation of the economy than screwing together widgets on the assembly line. Actually, your taxi driver example is a good marginal case in its own right.