[lbo-talk] Greenspan plays with language

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Dec 11 18:16:21 PST 2006

> > > corporations just pass taxes on to consumers
> >

> > If they could, then why do they spend all that time and money
> > lobbying for tax breaks?

Speaking as a complete economic naif here -- isn't this a matter of short-term vs. long-term? Long-term, taxes and other costs of doing business get passed on to customers or employees or both. Short-term, a tax break that takes effect this year shows up in this year's bottom line. The corporate executives I have known -- and I have known quite a few -- were VERY short-term thinkers.

-- --Michael J. Smith --mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org