[lbo-talk] What's Lies Behind the West's Russia Phobia?

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Dec 11 22:52:43 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> One of the odd things about it is that so many of these western
> Russophobes - or Pootey-Poot-o-Phobes - are on the left, to some
> degree or other. It's like a new toy for the human rights
> imperialists. Except no one on earth can be crazy enough to think of
> bombing Russia, right?

Well, left and right. So, Russophobia is one of the few common grounds left. That's one reason.

But, bottom line, I think it's envy.

I mean, here we are, having "won" the cold war, but trillions of dollars in debt and masters of an economy that is entirely dependent on natural resources that Russia has and that we can't steal because they can and will defend themselves. Plus, Russia has fabulous geo-political leverage......soooo.....instead of being able to lord it over them, we really may wind up being their vassals. The U.S. as the new Argentina.

Joanna