[lbo-talk] technical conditions approach

Rakesh Bhandari bhandari at berkeley.edu
Tue Dec 12 19:51:54 PST 2006

>I never read these particular debates very carefully, but one question.
>In reading your logical exercise I must have overlooked your explanation
>of where, in that context, consumers got their money to buy the
>products. Could you explain just that part.
>
>Carrol

Took the example from Spencer Pack. In the example I gave the gold sector produces money! The gold 'capitalists' purchases wheat or computers. The wheat and computer producers then purchase from each other what they respectively want. Gold sector will buy the computers it needs to resume production; so will the wheat sector with the gold it has procured from selling to the other sectors. The economy is self-reproducing; all output is sold; all sectors have the input with which to reproduce at the same scale.

But your question brings out problems: is gold truly like any other sector as implied in Pack's example; how do these models of given technical conditions work when gold is not commodity but money is fiat money; and where does the money come from to allow for expanded reproduction (the Rosa Luxemburg problem).

Yours, Rakesh -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20061212/e552c49a/attachment.htm>