[lbo-talk] world improved when you want to lick a computer

Charles A. Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Wed Dec 13 11:31:02 PST 2006

``...Apple UIs are quite poor in comparison...'' ravi

So, ravi, I've got to get a new computer. Mine is a pentium 133, from 1996 and I've been running FreeBSD 4.2 since about 2002 or the last time I upgraded.

Now the choices I've ben comtemplating are a G5 or a DUO processor something at about half the price. If I go with the DUO-something, I have to face the process of rebuiling the OS. If I go with the G5, I have to the take the chance that putting GNU programs like emaces and TeX need to be loaded as binaries or I have to down load a compiler and bundle of libraries (i.e build a development envirnoment) on the system to get GNU stuff to work on OS X.

Both of these are worrisome since I don't seem to be able to find enough information on either choice to decide.

So, ravi. What do you think? Or anybody else who might the answers...

CG