[lbo-talk] Cricket eat cricket - Swarming behavior --

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 11:10:54 PST 2006

It's dangerous to draw human conclusions about this as these insects are not acting as truly social animals. There is no cooperation here, as such. If we look at something like the New York Stock Exchange, it would seem to be a similar situation (everyone with a seat is trying to impoverish everyone else with a seat) but in fact there is an enormous amount of cooperation, mutual identification and acknowledgment of mutual interest.

But the lesson of the crickets is that a simple behavior pattern repeated many times can give shape to a society. The modestly cannibalistic crickets vector towards each other because they identify each other as a potential food source, but that also gives them a "schooling" advantage versus predators and probably greater fecundity as finding a mate is not hard. Other invertebrates combine sex drive and cannibalism. So long as the cannibalistic urge makes reproduction more and not less likely, it will evolve into the species.

Humans do not make war for the express purpose of stealing, but so long as making war was about stealing, humans were better off grouping together because, through war, the tribe could "downsize" in the event of a shortage. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depends) war is now so economically costly that there is no way to "downsize" effectively.

In some sense, the Marxian stagist idea is just another way of saying that humans are evolving from a social-but-cannibalistic species into a social species.

Boddi